Student's Project Week of Textile Roofs 2012 - General Information

 

Roofing of the Geodätenstandplattform

 

The “Geodätenstand” of University of Technology Berlin is one of the most impressive parts of the university campus.

 

Residing on top of the old main building the “Geodätenstand” wasn't damaged during the Second World War, although the main building of the university was heavily injured by bombardments.

As a consequence the northern part of the main building was replaced by a widely visible white, slim and tall new main building in the 1950’s. The southern part, which is substantially still the old "before-war" building was reconstructed.

 

 

On April, 15th 1954 the “Geodätenstand” was given over to the department of Geodesy and its managing director Prof. Erich Brennecke by the President of the Federal Republic of Germany Theodor Heuss.

 

In former times the “Geodätenstand” was called geodetic laboratory and was used for the calibration of highly precise measuring devices and to teach the students in the field of surveying engineering. While the accuracy of modern measuring devices rose continuously the “Geodätenstand” became more and more important for high precision orientation and navigation. One of the most important constructive elements is the vibration-free floor, to keep natural movements of the building away from sensible devices.

 

Because of the most beautiful view from the rooftop towards the Berlin city core with Potsdamer Platz, Fernsehturm and Sony Centre occasionally the “Geodätenstand” became a meeting point, project working place and even an event location for members of the university. Without saying this location is also attractive for companies and firms from outside, who liked to rededicate the "Geodätenstand". In 2007 plans rose to use the “Geodätenstand” as a cafeteria. The department of Geodesy and Geoinformations Science vehemently was against these plans, because this laboratory is essential for research and teaching and can't be taken over by more or less commercial interests.

 

After some fruitful discussions with central university authorities it was decided to renew the “Geodätenstand” and let it be completely administered by the department of Geodesy and Geoinformation Science for scientific and educational needs. Since then the department has the confirmation, that they can plan future developments in the field of surveying engineering.

 

In October 2010 the idea was born to establish a collaboration between the Berlin University of the Arts and the Berlin University of Technology and to introduce the “Campus Charlottenburg" initiative, as one of the largest university campus worldwide. This idea led to an agreement between the two university presidents to support all scientific and educational activities which bring both universities closer together.

 

During the Student’s Working Week, which is held in parallel to the main Textile Roofs 2012 workshop, students from Berlin University of Technology, from Berlin University of the Arts, from Karlsruhe Institute of Technology and from Technische Universiteit Eindhoven design, plan, calculate and build together a roofing of one of the Geodätenstandplatforms in a joint student’s project based on the ideas of the "Campus Charlottenburg".

 

This project is supported by many people working free of charge - Thanks to all of them!